Ophthalmology (from the Greek ὀφθαλμός - "eye") is a branch of medicine that deals with the study and treatment of diseases and dysfunctions of the eye, its appendages, and also with vision correction. This is one of the oldest medical disciplines. An ophthalmologist is a professional title of a specialist in this field.
Anatomically, ophthalmology concentrates primarily on the eyelid and eye socket, and – with the arrival of the possibility to study the visual path – the space studied by ophthalmologists has expanded all the way to the back of the skull. As a medical discipline, ophthalmology is closely related to otolaryngology, dermatology and neurology. Ophthalmic data is often used for general diagnostics and neurology (neuro-ophthalmology) because of the frequent connection of eye health with various diseases, and also due to the possibility of conducting microscopic studies on living tissue (eye microscopy).
Ophthalmic diagnosis can be very extensive, depending on what complaints the patient has. Modern methods of ophthalmologic examination require extensive and costly technical equipment and equipment. The most important examination instrument is a slit lamp, a powerful stereo microscope equipped with a special control and lighting system. Methods of diagnostics used are:
- Tonometry: measurement of intraocular pressure
- Perimetry: visual field study
- Slit lamp exam: microscopic examination of the anterior, middle and posterior parts of the eye
- Gonioscopy (examination of the anterior chamber angle)
- Refractometry: the study of optical refractive errors (ametropia)
- Ophthalmoscopy: direct and indirect reflection of the bottom
- Vision strength exam
- Orthoptics: examination of the position and mobility of the eyes and binocular vision
- Fluorescein angiography: vascular imaging, especially retinal vessels, fluorescein
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT)
- Topography of the cornea
Ophthalmology is one of the surgical sub-disciplines, although it has numerous, effective and complex medications for non-surgical treatment. However, for example, cataract surgery is one of the most frequent and also one of the most expensive operations in the world. Below are some examples of ophthalmic treatment:
- Preventative examinations
- Prescription of local medications in the form of eye drops, gel, ointment or tablets, injections or infusions
- Correction of vision with glasses or contact lenses
- Strabological treatment
- Orthoptics for the treatment of sensory and motor disturbances of binocular vision
- Cataract surgery
- Retinal and vitreous surgery
- Interventions in the lacrimal apparatus (lacrimal stenosis) and eyelids (eyelid folding)
- Reduction of pressure in the eye with glaucoma
- Operations on the muscles of the eye with strabismus (lazy eye)
- Correction of ametropia
Treatment in Switzerland with Airdoc
In Switzerland, you can expect an excellent quality of medical care in combination with a comfortable stay, which is comparable with a vacation. Clinics in Switzerland combine an undeniable proven quality and a warm attitude to patients. Airdoc works with Swiss and foreign medical specialists who find an individual approach to each patient. When selecting clinics, we pay special attention to the infrastructure needed for a particular check-up or treatment, and we choose only the best quality/price ratio for our clients.
Airdoc connects you with the best doctors in Switzerland, abroad and online.
Warning: Use of undefined constant en - assumed 'en' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/airdocgm/www/airdoc.ch/wp-content/uploads/cache/3235b6c36b6561e68c552e3fde63b83d5ba06050.php on line 84
Warning: Use of undefined constant ru - assumed 'ru' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/airdocgm/www/airdoc.ch/wp-content/uploads/cache/3235b6c36b6561e68c552e3fde63b83d5ba06050.php on line 87
Warning: Use of undefined constant de - assumed 'de' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/airdocgm/www/airdoc.ch/wp-content/uploads/cache/3235b6c36b6561e68c552e3fde63b83d5ba06050.php on line 90